It’s been a while since I got my baking on, but after trying this recipe over the weekend I knew I had to share. I’m always looking for new ways to use healthy ingredients, and these brownies came out even better than I expected. They pack 5 grams of protein per square, but you can always add some chia or flax seeds to give them an extra protein boost! I baked these for my cousins so I kept them nice and fudgey.
While these brownies aren’t exactly low calorie, they offer a yummy snack with better for you ingredients. They use coconut flour (my favorite baking flour!) so they are also gluten free for those who may have an intolerance. Best part? They are quick and oh so easy to make.
Clean Coconut & Walnut Brownies
- 1/2 cup Coconut Flour
- 1/2 cup Coconut Oil (melted)
- 1/4 cup Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 cup sweetener (agave nectar, honey, or maple syrup)
- 3 Large Organic Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 cup Chopped Walnuts
- 1/4 cup Chocolate Chips (optional)
- 1/4 cup Flax/Chia seeds (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 300°F and line a 8″x 8″ baking tin with parchment paper, spraying with coconut oil spray so that the brownies don’t stick. I love using parchment paper for baking; less cleaning after!
- In a medium bowl, combine eggs and cocoa powder with a whisk, being sure to blend completely. Melt down coconut oil in 30 second increments before adding it, your sweetener of choice, and vanilla extract together.
- Once the wet ingredients are blended together, add in coconut flour a little at a time, mixing to ensure there are no clumps. If you are using flax or chia seeds add them here. Finally, add salt, walnuts and optional chocolate chips. The batter should be thick, not runny.
- Pour batter into baking tin and spread evenly with a spatula. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool for 10 minutes before lifting the parchment paper out of the tin and slicing into squares with a knife. This recipe yeilds 9 medium sized brownies. Refrigerate or leave at room temperature in an air tight container.
Serving Size: 1 Brownie
Protein: 5 grams
Carbs: 23.2 grams
Fat: 18.6 grams
PIN FOR LATER