I apologize in advance for posting this recipe, because these muffins are about to become your new healthy sweet treat. I made these for breakfast, but honestly they would be perfect for any time of day. I know -anything with the word chocolate in it you automatically assume is bad for you, but these muffins pack 5 grams of protein and fiber to help keep you full! They are also made grain and dairy free and paleo (assuming you use dairy free chocolate chips like I did!).
Another perk to these babies? They only take around 30 minutes to make. I threw them together first thing in the morning, popped them in the oven and carried about my morning routine. When I was finished getting dressed for work they were just finishing up in the oven.
For anyone who might be wary about baking with avocado rest assured, you cannot taste it in this recipe! They simply add just the right amount of moisture to these muffins. Nothing is worse than a dry muffin or cupcake. Which, by the way, you can totally make these into cupcakes as well (cupcakes…muffins…basically the same thing, right?).
Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
Total Time:30 Minutes
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder (or unsweetened cacao)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 medium avocado, mashed (1/2 – ⅔ cup)
- ½ cup coconut sugar (any all natural sweetener will do!)
- 2 scoops (30g) of Women’s Best Vanilla Protein Powder (or protein powder of choice!)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup almond milk (or your choice of non-dairy milk)
- ⅓ cup dairy-free mini chocolate chips for paleo (if you are not paleo regular are fine too!)
- Preheat oven to 375F and grease a muffin pan. Set aside
- In a small bowl combine coconut flour, cocoa (or cacao) powder, baking powder, protein powder and salt. Stir together until combined and there are no lumps of coconut flour or cocoa powder. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine mashed avocado, coconut sugar (or sweetener of choice), eggs, and vanilla extract. Whisk until all ingredients are combined evenly.
- Gently fold dry ingredients into the bowl of wet ingredients, adding milk slowly and stirring until everything is combined. Add the chocolate chips last.
- Using large spoon, evenly disperse batter into greased muffin pan, about ⅔ of the way full. You should get roughly 8 large muffins.
- Bake muffins for 18-22 minutes, checking middle of the muffins with toothpick after the first 18 minutes or so. They will be done when the toothpick comes out with little to no crumbs.
*Store in an air tight container, they will be good up to 5 days!
PIN FOR LATER