I have been wanting to try these for the longest time, and today seemed like the perfect day for it! Apple chips are a healthy alternative to potato chips or any of the other salt and preservative packed snacks out there, with this recipe being comprised of only 3 ingredients: apples, cinnamon, and coconut sugar.
I’ve been using coconut sugar in nearly all of my recipes lately because of its amazing toffee/caramel undertones that add so much extra flavor to whatever you’re cooking. I figured that combo would make these chips extra yummy and I think they turned out quiteeeee yummy—I’ve nearly eaten them all while writing this post.
Crispy Baked Apple Chips
You read it right!
- 3 large Macintosh Apples (feel free to use any kind)
- Coconut sugar
- Preheat the oven to 200°F and line two baking sheets with tin foil.
- With your sharpest knife, slice apples from bottom to top in paper thin slices. If you have a mandolin, it would work perfect here. The thinner the slices the crispier the chip, so really try and get them as thin as possible. Save any extra shavings too, those ended up being the crispiest ones and my favorites!
- Once all of the apples are sliced, lay them out evenly on the baking sheets and sprinkle cinnamon followed by the coconut sugar. I added a decent amount to add more flavor, but you can go as lightly or heavy with them as you’d like.
- Bake for 1 hour on the lower temperature before removing the chips to flip, coating the other side with the cinnamon and coconut sugar. Bake for an additional 1.5 hours.
- Once finished, shut the oven off and keep the chips in the oven for an additional hour or until they have cooled. Remove from the sheet and enjoy!
This is a super simple recipe and makes for a great snack to bring to work when you are meal prepping for the week. Cooking them at a lower temperature for longer ensures that the edges don’t burn and makes for a great crisp. Like I said before, the thinner you slice the apple, the crispier they will get. Some of the thicker pieces can end up being quite chewy.
This is the perfect Sunday recipe that you can pop in the oven, leave for 3 hours and enjoy the football game, like I did today! I think they would also be great for kids, or even as an appetizer to bring to a holiday party. Or you can be like me and just eat them all in two days 🙂