Crunchy on outside and bursting with flavor, you’ll be reaching for these chick pea falafel’s for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I always assumed that cooking falafel would require a complex and complicated recipe, but that couldn’t be further from the truth! This delicious recipe only requires six simple ingredients, a few spices, and a food processor. One bite and you’ll be just as hooked as I am!
If you don’t own a food processor already I highly recommend picking one up for yourself! Getting the perfect consistency for these patties is only possible with the help of one. I use my food processor constantly. It is so easy to use and perfect for all of my baking and cooking needs. I absolutely love it.
The chick peas in this recipe make these falafel’s filling and sturdy, with a crispy crust and a creamy center. They really do make a great addition to any meal. I added mine to my breakfast today, but they would be great over a salad for lunch or with chicken and roasted vegetables for dinner.
The red onion and cilantro add such amazing flavor and the red pepper flakes give them a subtle spice. These would also be amazing with green onion or cumin, so my next batch will definitely be more experimental with flavors and add-ons.
The key is to make the patties on the thicker side so that they don’t break and are easier to flip in the pan. I think my favorite part of these falafel’s are the crunchy crust. I had a hard time keeping my hands off of them and ate 3 of them before they even reached my plate.
Crispy Homemade Chick Pea Falafel Recipe
1 cup drained chick peas
1 cup chopped red onion
1 cup chopped cilantro
1/4 cup flour
3 cloves of garlic
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- Begin by chopping your onion, cilantro and garlic cloves and adding them to your food processor. Pulse until it is finely minced. Pour the mixture into a separate bowl and set aside.
- Add chickpeas, salt, chili powder, and red pepper flakes to the food processor and pulse. Make sure the mixture is not pureed. Add the onion and cilantro mixture back into the food processor with the baking powder flour. Scrape down the sides a few times with a spatula and make sure the flour is mixed all the way through.
- Transfer the finished mixture into a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- After one hour, use a spoon to scoop one heaping teaspoon of the falafel mixture and form into balls. Adjust the mixture as necessary.
- Heat a medium sized pan over medium-low heat. Coat the bottom of the pan with olive oil and add the falafel to the pan. Brown each side for 2-3 minutes or until they are cooked all the way through. Let cool on a plate and enjoy plain or with Tahini sauce.
What’s one meal you are eager to recreate at home? Leave me a comment below and be sure to let me know if you give this recipe a try.