I played ice hockey competitively from the time I was little all the way through college where I was lucky enough to play at the Division 1 level. I was on skates by age two and played soccer and softball in middle school and high school as well. Fitness has always been a massive part of my life, and I have always considered myself an athlete.
After my hockey career ended and I graduated from college I was very burnt out from the sport and unhappy with how I felt in my own skin. I had always trained for my specific sport, and was excited for the opportunity to workout for myself! I started using Kayla Itsines’ “BBG” guide alongside my best friend and documented my changes on Instagram. Helping others with their fitness and wellness goals has become one of my greatest passions.
Right now I work out 5-6 times per week and use my own guide, “Mentally Strong, Physically Fit”. I do a mix of weight training and HIIT based workouts. I also love to walk for 30-45 minutes on my low intensity days or practice yoga as well.
My diet is fairly simple; follow an 80/20 lifestyle (eat well 80% of the time, enjoy myself the other 20%) and focus on eating as many whole foods as I can. I limit the amount of processed foods I consume and fill my diet with loads of fruits, vegetables, lean meats like chicken and fish (I hardly eat red meat anymore), and whole grains like quinoa or wild rice. I am all about balance in everything I do, so I leave plenty of room for a sweet treat or a bowl of ice cream.
My whole journey on social media started over on Instagram when I began sharing my fitness transformation after I stopped playing collegiate hockey. I somehow managed to build a large enough audience that I felt compelled to create a blog! This website was the perfect way to feed my creativity and share my message with a broader audience. I knew nothing about building a website and had to teach myself how to do everything, but it has been the most rewarding experience.
First and foremost you need to truly think about how serious you are about blogging before you decide which avenue to take. There are plenty of free blogging platforms that allow you to write and share at a very basic level if you aren’t looking to be too serious about it. If you are more serious about it then I would say prepare yourself for many, many hours of work. At first you will be essentially working for free, so you definitely have to love it!
I would also recommend you watch Youtube videos, read articles, and do as much research on how to create your blog as you can. You can just as easily hire a company to do it for you, but I have such a greater appreciation for blogging and my website because I did it all myself. It’s a great way to learn something new and is a true labor of love.
I went to Union College in Schenectady New York for undergrad and graduated with a Bachelors Degree in Art History & Studio Art with a focus in Interior Design. I am lucky to have found a profession where all of what I learned in school is applicable!
No, right now I work full time as an Interior Designer and part time as a blogger! That said, my mind is always thinking about my blog, (what I can write about, how to build my brand, etc.). This is really where my heart is. One day I would love to take that leap and perhaps find a way to do this full time, but for now I enjoy having this as my side hustle.
I shoot with a Nikon D3200 and alternate between a 50mm lens (all of my food shots are taken on this lens) and an 18-55mm lens. I absolutely love this camera and it is a great, inexpensive option for new bloggers and photographers.
I use two apps to edit photos: Snapseed and VSCO. I use Snapseed primarily for brightening, straightening and cropping images. It is great for adding saturation and/or brightening specific areas of a photo and really simple to use. I use VSCO primarily to add filters, increase contrast and up the temperature. Having the same filter on all of my photos helps to keep my blog and my Instagram feed cohesive.
I save, a lot. I’ve been able to finance and pay for every trip I’ve gone on in advance and take a lot of pride in being able to pay for all of my flights and trips. I really enjoy making itineraries and putting together plans, and hope to do much more of it in the future. My bucket list is fairly extensive!
The next spot on my bucket list in terms of international travel is the Azore Islands in Portugal. I also want to travel to Norway, Switzerland, and Asia at some point. I’ve always wanted to see Australia too.