The other day (as I mentioned on snapchat) a client of mine was kind enough to bring me a basket of fresh vegetables from his garden! As someone who tries to eat as clean as I can, I was pretty pumped. Home grown food always tastes better, plain and simple. Among the basket of vegetables were 5 (yes, 5!) zucchini’s, and so it only seemed logical I use one of those babies for zucchini bread!
This recipe was inspired by Lean, Clean and Brie, who used coconut flour for her recipe. This was a first for me, but I have been finding myself trying to use coconut flour much more often these days. Coconut flour does require more moisture than traditional flour, so don’t be alarmed by the number of eggs needed for this recipe.
What I love most about this is that it is a guilt free breakfast or snack! The three sweeteners used in this recipe are honey, vanilla extract, and cinnamon. Because we are using coconut flour it is also considered gluten free, dairy free, and paleo. I added some seeds and nuts for added protein, but it is delicious plain as well. This recipe is also Whole 30 approved, which I have decided to tackle my first round of Whole 30 in August!
Healthy Blueberry and Coconut Flour Zuccini Bread
1 1/2 cups of shredded zucchini
3/4 cup of coconut flour
1/3 cup of coconut oil
1/3 cup of honey
1 tsp of vanilla extract
1 tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 tsp baking soda
to taste: blueberries, pumpkin seeds, chopped walnuts, & rolled oats
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Take one large zucchini, and shred using a grater. Once the entire zucchini has been shredded squeeze out the moisture and set aside.
- Combine the remaining ingredients with a hand mixer, being sure to eliminate any clumps of coconut oil that may remain. Once the mixture is combined, add in the zucchini a little at a time. You can use a fork or spoon for this part.
- If you wish to add any additional ingredients, add them now! I used blueberries, walnuts, pumpkin seeds and rolled oats but you are free to add whatever you would like. (For a sweeter loaf, add semi sweet chocolate chips!).
- Prepare a 9″ x 5″ baking pan by lining it with parchment paper or spraying with non-stick baking spray. Pour the mixture into the baking pan, spreading evenly throughout the pan. Sprinkle additional rolled oats or toppings on top.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick or fork comes out clean! Serve with butter or enjoy plain!
From start to finish, this recipe takes just under an hour to bake. Have you ever baked with coconut flour? If so, what are some of your favorite recipes? Let me know in the comments!
PIN FOR LATER