Nourish bowls are my favorite way to pull together a quick and healthy meal. Their quick assembly and versatility make them my go-to meal for lunch or dinner. For that reason I always try to have pre-prepped ingredients in my refrigerator for those days I don’t feel like cooking. But there are some combinations that turn out extra delicious, and those are the ones worth sharing the recipe for! That was the case with this simple and filling kale and chickpea nourish bowl. It came out even better than I expected, and took less than 20 minutes to throw together.
Chickpeas are one of my favorite cooking ingredients these days due to their high protein content. Sometimes when I eat a dish heavy on vegetables I can be left feeling hungry. That is where chickpeas fill the void and provide a hearty and healthy form of protein to keep me fuller for longer. Another great attribute of chickpeas is their ability to absorb flavor. I am constantly experimenting with different spices to give the chickpeas a little more kick. For this particular bowl I seasoned them with Himalayan pink salt, pepper, paprika and cayenne.
Instead of using mashed sweet potato for this recipe, I went with mashed butternut squash. They are very similar ingredients, but I find that the mashed squash goes perfectly with the kale. The end result is a warm and cozy nourish bowl that is perfect for these winter months. I topped with avocado and some cooked red cabbage, but this would be great with tahini too. I typically would top a bowl like this with some tahini but I was out of it when I threw this together!
Kale & Chickpea Winter Nourish Bowl
- One handful of kale, washed and stems removed
- 1/2 butternut squash, cubed
- 1 head of broccoli
- 1 can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1/2 tbsp cayenne
- 1 tbsp dried rosemary
- pink Himalayan salt, to taste
- cracked black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Rinse all of the vegetables. Dice the butternut squash into cubes and place them on am aluminum foil lined baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt, pepper, and dried rosemary. Roast for 20 minutes.
- Rise and drain 1 can of chickpeas. Drizzle a little olive oil into a small frying pan and sauté the chickpeas on medium low heat. Season with salt, pepper, paprika and cayenne. Once the chickpeas begin to brown, remove from heat and set aside.
- In a separate frying pan, warm a drizzle of olive oil and minced garlic until fragrant. Add the chopped kale, sautéing until the leaves are a nice bright green color. Remove from heat and place into a bowl. Set aside.
- In the same frying pan, add the broccoli and shredded cabbage and repeat the same process. Sauté until the broccoli is cooked and the colors are bright. Add to the bowl with the kale.
- Remove the butternut squash from the oven and transfer to a bowl. Mash with a fork until creamy (option here for a tbsp of butter). Add the mashed squash to your nourish bowl.
- Top your bowl with avocado and spiced chickpeas, season with additional salt and pepper, and serve!
- Store any left over ingredients in separate containers and enjoy later.
PIN FOR LATER