I had meant to shoot for another travel post today, but it is currently snowing and so instead I am doing what I do best; baking! I am always on the hunt for healthy alternatives to my favorite desserts, and brownies are one of those treats that always remind me of my childhood. My mom would often bake us triple chocolate Betty Crocker brownies with Heath Bar Crunch on the top and serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream in the wintertime. It is one of my favorite things to eat on lazy days in, which is what inspired me to whip these up today!
At Christmas time I was gifted a jar of local honey from one of my sweet clients at work, so I decided that I would use that for the sweetener in this recipe. I have used maple syrup before but was excited to use honey instead this time. Maple syrup definitely makes them sweeter but I found this honey to work just as well! These came out chewy and the perfect amount of sweet. They only took about 30 minutes from start to finish, so this recipe falls under my “30 minute meals” category as well. Always a plus in my book!
Clean Chocolate Mint Brownies
- 1 whole avocado
- 1/2 cup of coconut flour
- 1/2 cup of cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 1/2 cup of honey (or maple syrup for a sweeter taste)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp mint extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- In a large food processor combine avocado, apple sauce, honey, and mint and vanilla together, being sure to eliminate any lumps.
- Add eggs one at a time, followed by coconut flour, salt, baking powder, and salt. You may have to scrape down the sides of the food processor to make sure that all of the cocoa powder has been mixed in!
- In a greased 8″ x 8″ baking pan, pour mixture and spread until even. The brownies should be about an inch thick.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes (less time = chewier brownies) and let cool for 15 minutes before cutting into squares with a knife.
- Enjoy plain or eat with a scoop of ice cream for a sweet treat after dinner!
And there you have it! I love how refreshing the mint is in these, it’s subtle but just enough to take a traditional chocolate brownie to the next level. These are totally open to tweaking, I personally want to try them with some coconut, or even with peanut butter.
You can also find the recipe for my favorite chocolate avocado protein muffins here!
What is your favorite dessert? Let me know in the comments below!